Thursday, November 12, 2015

This Is Where I Wish I Was



Not location but creatively.

I know over the past couple of years I have come further in my art than I ever thought possible but I'm still not satisfied with what I do and I don't know when (if ever) I'll find my style.  This probably sounds trivial but the pure happiness I have while watercolour painting or getting messy with pastels is slightly dimmed when I see the finished product and then I don't want anyone else to see what I've done.

Practise, practise, practise then go to Pinterest for a good dose of inspiration! I don't want to copy, that's not what I look for, but seeing the results of artists with true talent is not off-putting but entices me to try and to persevere and maybe, just maybe, one day I'll get there.

No, I don't think in any way I'd ever be in the same stratosphere as accomplished artists such as James Guthrie. (See below, I love this painting, sure it's a fairly romanticised version of agricultural life in Scotland but considering Scottish culture has been stifled, especially recently, then any glimpse of our non-"British" history is a refreshing relief.)  Reality check; I paint as I write, to please myself and if it is appreciated by others then that is a bonus.  I will always be my harshest critic.

James Guthrie, A Hind's Daughter, 1883, Canvas, 91.5 x 76.2, National Galleries of Scotland, Edinburgh.:
James Guthrie, A Hind's Daughter, 1883, National Galleries of Scotland, Edinburgh



No comments: